Division of Fire, 513-523-6324
Before you apply
Things you need to know
- Application review takes one week, generally, so apply for a tent permit as soon as possible. The Division of Fire is required to provide a written statement of either “pre-approval” or “exempt from review” before the application will be accepted for processing through the Community Development Department.
- The City of Oxford requires a building and zoning permit for temporary tents 200 square feet or larger.
- Tents cannot cover required parking spaces, access drives and/or driveways.
- A tent permit is valid for no more than three days from the moment the tent is raised.
- No more than two tent permits per property are permitted each year.
- No open flame devices, heaters or cooking devices, parked vehicles, or gas engines are allowed within 20 feet of the tent. At no time can an open flame or straw and other combustible materials be placed under or near a tent.
- Keep and maintain clear exits and aisle ways inside.
- We require tents to be placed 20’ from property lines and 12’ from other structures.
- Residential or commercial tent?
- Residential are 1-, 2-, and 3-family residences
- Commercial are fraternity houses, 4-family or more residential structures (apartment buildings), businesses
- Fees will be determined during the review process and you will pay at issuance.
- We do not accept up-front payments.
- Use the Requirements and Fees Calculator to estimate fees. The $150.00 Fire Review and Inspection fee goes into effect on January 1, 2020.
Step 1: Compile the required documents
TIP: Use the Requirements and Fees Calculator (Microsoft Excel format) to quickly navigate our tent requirements and estimate fees.
- Site plan [must show lot lines, building footprint(s), all hard surfaces, location and dimensions of tent(s), and distances from tent(s) to lot lines and buildings]
Step 2: Division of Fire pre-approval
Take all of your materials to the Division of Fire, located at 217 South Elm Street -or- email your files to email@example.com. Fire staff will produce a document for you to include with your documentation materials for Step 3. You may have to redo this step if your materials are incomplete.
Step 3: Community Development Department processing
Take your materials and Fire pre-approval document to the Community Development Department, located at 15 South College Avenue, Oxford, OH 45056. You will pay after the application has been approved. Community Development staff will send it to various departments for review, if needed.
Step 4: Fees & pickup
Someone from the Community Development Department will contact you when the permit is approved and ready for pickup and will tell you the total fees due.
We accept cash, check, e-check, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.
Step 5: Building Department Inspections
You must request an inspection the day prior to the event if the Building Department requires it. Call (513) 524-5205 during normal business hours to schedule.