Before you apply
- The City of Oxford requires a building and zoning permit for temporary tents 200 square feet or larger.
- Use the Requirements and Fees Calculator (Microsoft Excel format) to quickly navigate our tent requirements and estimate fees.
- Tents cannot cover required parking spaces, access drives and/or driveways.
- Application review takes one to two weeks, generally, so apply for a tent permit well before your event.
- A tent permit is valid for no more than three days.
- No more than two tent permits are permitted each year.
- No more than two tents per residential lot are allowed at one time.
- No open flame devices, heaters or cooking devices, parked vehicles, or gas engines are allowed within 20 feet of the tent.
- Keep and maintain clear exits and aisle ways.
- Residential tents measuring 400 square feet or more with sides or commercial tents 400 square feet or more must have a 20 foot clearance (required by Ohio Fire Code) from property lines or any other tent or structure, including guide-wires.
- At no time can an open flame or straw and other combustible materials be placed under or near a tent.
Residential or commercial?
- Residential: 1-, 2-, and 3-family residences
- Commercial: Fraternity houses, 4-family or more residential structures (apartment buildings), businesses
Call (513) 524-5204 if you are unsure whether your property is residential or commercial.
Application & Fees
We require the following items depending on the size and type of tent. If required, you must include them with your documentation and permit application at the time of submission.
- Table, Seating, and Aisle Layout. Provide this layout if the tent is 400 square feet or larger and sheltering 50 or more people. The layout must include the number of occupants, table and chair arrangement with aisleway(s), and marked exits.
- Anchorage Details. If a tent is over 400 square feet it must be able to withstand the elements and prevent collapsing, per Section 2403.9.
- Flame Resistant Material Certificate. Include for tents 400 square feet or more, per NFPA 701 Ohio Fire Code Section 2404.4.
- Emergency Lighting System. All tents 400 square feet or more, with or without sides.
- Two Marked Exits, Lighted Exit Signs, No Smoking Signs. All tents 400 square feet more with sides per NFPA 70 and Admin Code 1301:7-7-47.
Reviews and inspections
- Zoning Division: Commercial and residential tents 200 square feet or more
- Fire Division: Residential tents 400 square feet or more with sides; Commercial tents 400 square feet or more with or without sides
- Building Division: Commercial tents 400 square feet or more with sides; commercial tents 700 square feet or more with or without sides
- Use the Requirements and Fees Calculator to estimate fees.
- Fees will be determined during the review process and you will pay at issuance.
- We do not accept up-front payments.
Payment & pickup
- Someone from the Community Development Department will contact you when the permit is approved and ready for pickup and will tell you the total fees due.
- We accept cash, check, echeck, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.
- You must request an inspection the day prior to the event, during normal business hours. Call (513) 524-5204 to schedule.