Before you apply
- Structures in the Uptown or University historic districts may require an HAPC Certificate of Appropriateness in addition and prior to the permit application. View the HAPC Design Guidelines.
- The review process will take longer if you do not submit a complete application or if your submission does not meet code(s).
- Construction should not begin until the permit application and plans have been reviewed and approved, and the permit issued and all fees have been paid.
Application and submission requirements
- Apply online or download, print, complete and submit the Application for Building, Zoning, and Related Permits (version 3.5 August 20, 2020).
- Applicants must provide electronic building plans, or five printed sets if dropped off or mailed, and they must be no larger than 24”x36”. In most cases, plans must be signed by a design professional licensed in Ohio.
- If you are demolishing a structure, see our demolition page.
- Apply online or drop off or send application(s) and building plans to the Community Development Department, 15 South College Avenue, Oxford, OH, 45056.
Resubmittals or Revisions
You must provide a cover letter or memo when submitting resubmittals or revisions and it should explain what has changed. If you do not provide this information we may dispose of the plans after seven days.
- Plans must comply with the 2019 Residential Code of Ohio (RCO) for One-, Two- and Three-Family Dwellings, the Oxford Planning and Zoning Code, and other local ordinances.
- If all building code standards are met and no revisions are required, the review process typically takes one to two weeks.
- The Application for Building, Zoning, and Related Permits Instructions and Fees (updated on August 20, 2020) lists all relevant fees.
- Fees will be determined during the review process and you will pay at issuance.
- We do not accept up-front payments.
Payment & pickup
- Someone from the Community Development Department will contact you when the permit is approved and ready for pickup and will give you the total fees due.
- We accept cash, check, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover. You can pay with credit card over the phone and all forms in-person, but we do not accept payments online at this time.
- Projects require inspections during and after construction.
- For inspections information, download the Residential Building Inspections Guide.
- Occupancy cannot take place until the project is completed and the Certificate of Occupancy and Certificate of Code Compliance are issued.