Before you apply
- Structures in the Uptown or University historic districts may require an HAPC Certificate of Appropriateness in addition and prior to the permit application. View the HAPC Design Guidelines.
- The review process will take longer if you do not submit a complete application or if your submission does not meet code(s).
- Construction should not begin until the permit application and plans have been reviewed and approved, and the permit issued and all fees have been paid.
Application and submission requirements
- Download, print, complete and submit the Application for Building, Zoning, and Related Permits (version 3.4 January 10, 2019).
- Applicants must provide six sets of building plans no larger than 24”x36”, and in most cases, they must be signed by a design professional licensed in Ohio.
- If your project also includes a new or replacement sign, you must include a Sign Permit Application in addition to the Application for Building, Zoning, and Related Permits from above.
- If you are demolishing a structure, see our demolition page.
- Drop off or send application(s) and building plans to the Community Development Department, 15 South College Avenue, Oxford, OH, 45056.
Resubmittals or Revisions
You must provide a cover letter or memo when submitting resubmittals or revisions and it should explain what has changed. If you do not provide this information we may dispose of the plans after seven days.
- Plans must comply with codes adopted by Ohio Board of Building Standards, the Oxford Planning and Zoning Code, and other local ordinances.
- If all building code standards are met and no revisions are required, the review process typically takes two to three weeks.
- The Application for Building, Zoning, and Related Permits Instructions and Fees (version 3.4 January 10, 2019) lists all relevant fees.
- Fees will be determined during the review process and you will pay at issuance.
- We do not accept up-front payments.
Payment & pickup
- Someone from the Community Development Department will contact you when the permit is approved and ready for pickup and will give you the total fees due.
- We accept cash, check, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.
- Projects require inspections during and after construction.
- For inspections information, download the Commercial Building Inspections Guide.
- Occupancy cannot take place until the project is completed and the Certificate of Occupancy and Certificate of Code Compliance are issued.