Call to Artists: Request for Mural Designs
The City of Oxford invites artists, designers, and the public at large to participate in a competition to beautify Oxford public spaces during the winter season with outdoor murals that encourage interaction through selfies and the use of blacklight illumination.
The theme for this project is #OxfordNightLights. This community beautification and economic development project is open to any individual or group who can create art appropriate to the theme and setting with strong potential to promote interactivity and selfie-taking. A $400 stipend will be awarded to each winning artist.
- Murals will be painted on 4’ x 8’ plywood sheet for outdoor display from 11/27/2020 - 1/17/2021.
- Murals will be displayed landscape format, with plywood supported vertically with fenceposts.
- Plywood sheets will be provided by the City and available for pick-up at ACE Hardware, 300 S. College Ave. Assistance with plywood pick-up or delivery can be arranged.
- Designs should not include images specific to any holiday or religious iconography.
- The City will fasten a separate tag with project theme, QR code and program information to the artwork. All efforts will be made to maintain the integrity of the design.
- The artist will supply all other materials, tools, and methods needed for execution of their concept including preparation of the plywood surface, and will sign a waiver of liability upon receipt of the plywood.
- The artist must use paint and methods that will ensure the integrity of the work for the duration of the seven-week program without degradation due to rain, snow, and other outdoor conditions.
- The painted image should be viewable in daylight but also include elements rendered in paint that fluoresces under blacklight to alter or enhance the image or contain hidden messages that promote our town and may be revealed when illuminated with blacklight.
- Once the stipend is paid, the City will own the physical work and all associated copyright.
- Submit your proposal to SCropenbaker@CityofOxford.Org by October 28, 2020.
- Proposal should include:
- Design theme or name.
- A sketch of what the mural will look like when blacklight elements are not visible.
- A sketch of what the mural will look like when blacklight elements are visible.
- Examples of other artwork or murals you have completed.
- Name, address, email, phone number for all artists on the proposal.
- Submissions will be reviewed and selected by November 4, 2020.
- Completed murals are to be delivered to the City of Oxford parking garage at 6 W. Walnut St. on or before Monday, November 23 at 4:00 p.m.
- If you need assistance in getting completed murals to the parking garage, please contact SCropenbaker@CityofOxford.Org by Monday November 16, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. (Murals do not need to be completed by this time, only arrangements for pick-up established).
- The Public Arts Commission of Oxford (PACO) will jury submissions.