HAPC References & Materials
- Historic Preservation
- University Historic District Walking Tour (large file)
- Uptown Oxford Historic Walking Tour (large file)
- Western College for Women Historic District Tour (large file)
- Ohio Historical Society
- Smith Library of Regional History (Oxford Lane Library)
- Frank R. Snyder Digital Photograph Collection (Scans and hard copies are available in the Smith Library of Regional History)
- Ohio Historic Inventory
- Heritage Ohio
- National Park Service: Technical Preservation Services
- Advisory Council on Historic Preservation (ACHP)
- Butler County Auditor
- Tax Incentives for Historic Preservation
- History of Oxford 1830-1930. Ralph McGinnis
- Changes in Oxford. Herbert Bradley
Videos of High Street
Preservation Briefs are produced by the National Park Service U.S. Department of Interior and provide guidance on preserving, rehabilitating and restoring historic buildings. Please note that the web versions of the Preservation Briefs differ somewhat from the printed versions. Many illustrations are new, captions are simplified, illustrations are typically in color rather than black and white, and some complex charts have been omitted. Versions of these Briefs are also available in the Community Development Department.
Preservation Tech Notes: Case Studies in Historic Preservation
The Preservation Tech Notes provide practical information on traditional practices and innovative techniques for successfully maintaining and preserving cultural resources. Please note that the web versions of the Preservation Tech Notes differ somewhat from the printed versions.
Other Historical Book References
Many of these are available at the Smith Library of Regional History (Lane Public Libraries) at 441 South Locust Street.
- 150 Year History of Oxford Government 1830-1980 by Avis Cullen, 1984.
- The Commercial Structures of Oxford, Ohio: A Study of Functional Change by Susan Walther, 1969. (Thesis)
- Highlights of Historical Oxford: A Guide to Points of Interest by Kathryn Hill, ca. 1965.
- Highlights of History Oxford: Tour of Points of Interest with Map Guide by Kathryn Hill and Katharine Stephenson, 1969.
- The History of Oxford College for Women 1830-1928 by Olive Flower, 1949.
- The History of Oxford, Ohio from the Earliest Days to the Present by Ralph McGinnis, 1930.
- Memoirs of the Miami Valley, Volume III, 1919.
- The Miami Years 1809-1959 by Walter Havighurst, 1958; revised 1969 and 1984.
- Minutes of Our Years by Charles Williams, 1982.
- The Negro in Oxford, Ohio by John Milholland, 1947. (Thesis)
- Old Oxford Days by Carl Greer, 1947.
- Old Oxford Houses and the People Who Lived in Them by Ophia Smith, 1941; revised 1975.
- Oxford, Ohio: An Ideal Place to Live, Work, Play, and Enjoy by Robert Myers, 1982.
- Oxford Town on Tallawanda: The Village on the Hill by Gordon Crecraft, 1923.
- Preserving Oxford’s Heritage: A Survey of Local Buildings and the People Associated with Them by Christopher Sauer, 1992.
- “Design Guidelines as Controls on Development: The Politics of Implementation in a Small Ohio Town” by Gerardo Brown-Manrique in Small Town, May-June 1991, pp. 4-11.
- The Urban Expansion of Oxford, Ohio, 1950-1966 by Dennis Enberg, 1966. (Thesis)
- Western College for Women 1853-1953 by Narka Nelson, 1953; revised 1967.