Before you apply
- Structures in the Uptown or University historic districts may require an HAPC Certificate of Appropriateness in addition and prior to the permit application. View the HAPC Design Guidelines.
- The review process will take longer if you do not submit a complete application or if your submission does not meet code(s).
- Construction should not begin until the permit application and plans have been reviewed and approved, and the permit issued and all fees have been paid.
Visit the Online Permitting Center » (limited permits as of April 20, 2018)
Application and submission requirements
- Download, print, complete and submit the Application for Building, Zoning, and Related Permits (v 3.3 January 2, 2018).
- Applicants must provide six sets of building plans, and they must be signed by a design professional.
- If your project also includes a new or replacement sign, you must also include a Sign Permit Application.
- If you are demolishing a structure, see our demolition page.
- Drop off or send application(s) and building plans to the Community Development Department, 15 South College Avenue, Oxford, OH, 45056.
- Plans must comply with codes adopted by Ohio Board of Building Standards, the Oxford Planning and Zoning Code, and other local ordinances.
- If all building code standards are met and no revisions are required, the review process typically takes two to three weeks.
- The Building and Zoning Permit Application lists all relevant fees.
- Fees will be determined during the review process and you will pay at issuance.
- We do not accept up-front payments.
Payment & pickup
- Someone from the Community Development Department will contact you when the permit is approved and ready for pickup and will give you the total fees due.
- We accept cash, check, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.
- Projects require inspections during and after construction.
- For inspections information, download the Commercial Building Inspections Guide.
- Occupancy cannot take place until the project is completed and the Certificate of Occupancy and Certificate of Code Compliance are issued.